Alluring Alowyn Gardens
Date: Feb 2017
Venue: Alowyn Gardens
1210 Melba Highway Yarra Glen Victoria 3775
Ph: 03 9730 2400
Purpose: Beautiful themed gardens to enjoy and be educated, nursery, gift shop and cafe
Service: 1 – 5 with 1 being “less than desirable” and 5 being “we’ll be back”
A big 5
Parking: Easy turn in from Melba Highway with a large gravel car park and 2 accessible parking bays. Better than most for rear access to modified vehicles.
Seating: large undercover area for sipping on a cuppa with easy wheelchair manoeuvring around the many tables and chairs. Benches scattered through the gardens for resting.
Steps: None from carpark to main entry. The only step is through main entry gate to Gardens themselves. Upon requesting, an alternative gate is happily unlocked by staff. All paths are smooth and even crushed gravel designed with wheelchair users and semi ambulant in mind.
- Door operation : Traditional door with handle and lock on the inside
- Width of entry: Fitted my power chair through easily
- Toilet higher: Traditional toilet but slightly higher than normal
- Hand rails: one side of toilet
- Roll under sink: yes
- Accessible soap dispenser: yes
- Accessible Paper towel roll: yes
- Adult/children change table: didn’t scope that out
- Cleanliness: very
A hidden gem; I felt very welcome into the gardens and was met with Prue the owner of this fine flora wonderland. I enjoyed a relaxed and timeless atmosphere both in the gardens and in the cafe.
I can’t wait to visit during the other seasons of the year.
All comments and reviews are my opinion only and evaluation has been made to the best of my knowledge and experience at the time of visiting.